Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Stupid Stick

Well I have been hit by the stupid stick many times this pregnancy: forgetting to take money to the grocery store, loosing everything constantly, running over a cement divider, etc. Now you may wonder what the stupid stick is and according to my sister in law it is when you do those very stupid things while pregnant that you hope you would otherwise not do.

Today I was hit by a very big stupid stick that had great consequences. Marc and I went grocery shopping, and I remembered money. He was done and I was very done by the time we actually got out to the car. I put all the groceries in the trunk and went to put the cart away with Marc. When I got back to the car I realized the keys were in my purse which I had thrown in the trunk as well. So here I am in the middle of the parking lot a little boy in one arm, my wallet in the other hand, and thank goodness my cell phone in my pocket. So I called Matt and we laughed he told me to call the insurance and see if we had coverage for a locksmith. We did, yea, but they told me it would be over an hour before anyone could get there. At this point of the experience Marc was playing in the mud and trying to run from me and was not going to be contained for an hour or even ten minutes at that. Oh and by the way he had no coat or shoes on!! (who lets their child out like that?) So I called Matt and we decided I would be better off to walk home and so I started walking.

Now I was not prepared for this little journey either, I had no coat and WalMart crocks. My maternity pants also would not stay on which made it all more interesting. I proceeded to put Marc on my shoulders and we were off. The first 5 blocks or so he screamed and tried to get down and walk, then he found a new toy, mom's hair. So for the next few blocks he giggled as he played with my hair. Then he started pulling it, so off the shoulders he came and I tried to just carry him and boy was he mad.

This pattern continued for a while, then about 5 minutes from home I got a phone call, "Hi this is Larry, I am at your car to unlock it." Well what do you know it doesn't really take an hour to get your car unlocked, but I told him there was no way I was walking back to the car and that we would figure something else out. So anyway we did make it home. Marc has now been asleep for almost 4 hours, I guess that walk really wore him out. My back and shoulders may never be the same from walking 2.2 miles with a 27 pound wiggling screaming child, but I learned the hard way that getting hit by the stupid stick can hurt really really bad!!

7 comments:

Erin L said...

unfortunately for me, the stupid stick didn't wear off after my babies were born. I just keep getting worse! It is very good of you to laugh it off. I would have been so worked up.

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Oh Katherine! I'm so sorry...but I have to admit, it made for a good laugh :) I hope the stupid stick leaves you alone for the rest of the pregnancy :)

Simpson Family said...

ha-ha! dont worry, i have been it to...many times!

Audra said...

Oh no Katherine! You are superwoman! I think I would have sat down & cried. Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes without anymore visits from the stupid stick.

JennyLynn said...

I feel so sorry for you! It makes me want to cry when I think of you walking all that way... pregnant, and carrying Marc.

Renee' P said...

Hope you don't mind, but I stole your blog from Christy :)
I am a blogger too. Mine is private so email me: rsp80@yahoo.com w/your email and I will send you an invite!

Renee'

Brent and Janet Harris said...

Katherine we love your blog--it makes you all not seem so very far away! As for the "stupid stick"---does it ever really leave?????

Mom H