Thursday, June 17, 2010

Two Weeks Old

When I started this post Luke was two weeks old. He is older than that now, but we will just pretend I finished the post when I started it. Luke had a crazy first two weeks of life. Being born, meeting his new family, traveling to Idaho, lots of doctor visits and a trip to the hospital. Sorry this is a long story and probably boring, but here it goes.

Friday night Matt and I were talking about the upcoming week. Matt had the week off from school and told me he was going to go crazy being home all week. Then he told me the things he wanted to do during the week: move to a house with a yard, build shelves, and tear something apart. For my sanity I suggested that we could go to Idaho and he immediately accepted. We discussed the craziness of taking a newborn on a trip, but he was doing great at his checkup so we decided to go for it. We had a very late night and a very early morning, but we left on Saturday. A few hours into the drive I noticed that Luke had a goopy eye and once again asked Matt if it was smart to be leaving the state (our insurance only covers in state doctors) he told me it was too late and we weren't turning back. So we continued on our journey. Both boys did great and the trip was very easy.

Well Luke's eye didn't get better so on Sunday we were going to ask a doctor from my parent's ward to look at it. Well neither doctor was at church, so we decided to just take him to an urgent care place. So a doctor visit and $85 eye drops later we were set, we thought. Monday I kept thinking he had a temperature and then it would go away, but by night time he didn't look good at all. His coloring was really bad and he just laid on the couch and kinda moaned, so we took him to a doctor in the ward. He suggested that we take him to an urgent care place and get some blood work done. So once again we went into town and checked into the doctors. Well when they checked him out his coloring was just fine and his temp was normal so they sent us home thinking we were crazy I am sure.

So Tuesday we had an appointment with another doctor to have Luke circumcised (another long story but I will spare you all the details). So we get there and they check him all out and he had a temperature of 101.2. The doctor was concerned and wanted to do tests, we were okay with it, but we were a little concerned because of our insurance situation. I called the insurance company and found out that they would cover an emergency room visit, so the doctor sent us over to the hospital. We were so glad to hear that it would all be covered and felt much better about the whole situation.

When they took his temp at the hospital it was 102.8 and they were really worried. They took lots of blood, did chest x-rays, and did a lumbar tap. I couldn't handle hearing Luke cry or watching them draw blood so I sat in the waiting room and Matt took care of everything. They also started him on an IV and antibiotics. After being in the emergency room for a few hours they admitted us into the hospital. They kept him so they could monitor him and give him antibiotics while they waited for the blood cultures. So I watched TV and tried to sleep for 3 days in the hospital, not what I imagined our vacation would be like.

In the end they found that he had a Urinary tract infection and strep. He is doing so much better now and I am so glad that we were able to figure it all out and get him feeling better. There is nothing worse than watching your child suffer and not being able to do anything about it. We are now back home in Spokane and adjusting back to normal life.

1 comment:

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Sheesh! That's not a vacation at all! I'm glad he's doing better now though.